The people’s summit proposal comes from the Brazilian Civil Society Facilitating committee for Rio+20. It’s a diverse and plural group of networks and organizations from the Brazilian civil society. The responsibility of this committee is to facilitate the participation of the global civil society in the process of the Rio+20 summit, the United Nations conference on sustainable development, to be hel d in june 2012.
Created in January 2011 during the World Social Forum in Dakar ( Senegal ), the committee emerges from several months of discussions and debates among the Brazilian civil society since august 2010, based on a proposal to organize an independent meeting called people’s summit in Rio+20 for social and environmental justice. As we propose to welcome and articulate networks and organizations from around the world, a fist international meeting was organized in June 2011 in Rio de Janeiro. Delegates from more than 30 countries came to launch the debate on the summit. In October, a second international meeting was held in Porto Alegre, to propose and organize collectively the way towards the people’s summit.
The Brazilian Civil Society Facilitating committee has a seat on the National Commission for Rio+20 ( Government ) and is also considered by the UNCSD as a host country liaison group. The committee has a wide range of organizations, among the most important networks of Brazilian civil society, active in different areas as environment and sustainability, human rights, social development, among others. It is leaded by a coordination group composed by the most representative networks:
- Rede Brasileira pela Integração dos Povos (Rebrip);
- Rede Brasil sobre Instituições Financeiras Multilaterais (Rede Brasil);
- Fórum Brasileiro de ONGs e Movimentos Sociais para o Meio Ambiente e o Desenvolvimento (FBOMS);
- Central Única dos Trabalhadores do Brasil (CUT);
- Associação Brasileira de Organizações Não-Governamentais (Abong);
- Grupo de Reflexão e Apoio ao Processo do Fórum Social Mundial (Grap);
- Fórum Brasileiro de Economia Solidária (FBES);
- Via Campesina (VC);
- Fórum Nacional da Reforma Urbana (FNRU);
- Rede da Juventude pelo Meio Ambiente e Sustentabilidade (Rejuma);
- Jubileu Sul;
- Plataforma Brasileira de Direitos Humanos Econômicos, Sociais, Culturais e Ambientais (Dhesca);
- Movimentos Indigenas: Articulação dos Povos Indígenas do Brasil (APIB) e Kari-Oca;
- Coordenação Nacional de Articulação das Comunidades Negras Rurais Quilombolas (Conaq);
- Instituto Brasileiro de Defesa do Consumidor (Idec);
- Articulação do Semi-Árido (ASA);
- Articulação de Mulheres Brasileiras (AMB);
- Marcha Mundial de Mulheres;
- Movimento negro: Coordenação Nacional de Entidades Negras (Conen);
- Rede de ONGs da Mata Atlântica (RMA).